(urth) Father Inire Theory cont.

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 10 12:20:19 PST 2010

Lee, I'm not trying to be unfair. The Devil runs a very different kind
of game than does Lucifer. They are not the same. If you say Devil, I
read Devil. If you say Lucifer, I read Lucifer. It helps to say what you
mean as much as you can---it would save us all a lot of words. :)

I do see the difference between the Serpent, who lies in whispers, and
Lucifer, who rebelled and rules the deep. Inire does not rule anything.
He is a flatterer, however ...  a Wormtongue.

Right, I recall the chained-god discussion now. Yes, Inire may be bound
to Urth in some way, and this is not too different from Lucifer's being
condemned to Hell. Yet he is not ruler of Urth ... as far as we know.

If Inire is the Serpent---a particular manifestation of Lucifer, who may
or may not manifest differently elsewhere, outside the frame of the
story---he doesn't need to be really obviously evil. He doesn't need to
personify evil, just lies. He doesn't need to be everywhere. He just
needs to be in the right place at the right time saying just the wrong
thing. The Serpent only committed one crime, after all.

Yes, if Urth is Abaddon (which was the calculation I always reached in
reading those passages but couldn't see how that could work), then the
Commonwealth is a fallen, gnostic Paradise on Urth with Inire as the
Serpent. This theory explains why Inire is hidden so much from
us---Wolfe doesn't want us asking too many questions.

No, I don't think Hethor needs to be Inire. Only Inire needs to be Inire.