(urth) Dionysus

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Dec 9 17:55:47 PST 2010

Allusion.

An *allusion* is a figure of speech that makes a reference to, or
representation of, a place, event, literary work, myth
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology>, or work of art, either
directly or by implication. M. H. Abrams defined allusion as "a brief
reference, explicit or indirect, to a person, place or event, or to
another literary work or passage".^[1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allusion#cite_note-0> It is left to the
reader or hearer to make the connection (Fowler); where the connection
is detailed in depth by the author, it is preferable to call it "a
reference <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reference>".

The god is present when humans take the blood of grapes into their
bodies. James is right---there is no leap whatsoever. only a bit of a
twist, an unexpected rotation in space that makes two cults seem to
align for just a moment.