(urth) Dionysus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 15:08:52 PST 2010

>> Lee Berman-
>> 2. The suggestion is that Gene Wolfe, in associating Dionysus with
>> parasitic lianas, is not
>> misinterpreting but engaging in word play as he often does. Nobody
>> here thinks Gene Wolfe
>> is confused as to the meanings of "Theseus" and "thesis" but some
>> think he is engaging in
>> word play there. Nor do we think Gene Wolfe is a dunce who thinks the
>> mother of Romulus and
>> Remus, Rhea Silvia, was named for a Bird Of The Woods. Word play again.
>
> Gerry Quinn-
> I think this would be a somewhat obscure word-game.  To get it one
> would have to identify Dionysus as the son of Thyone,

There's a real leap. That's about as obscure as identifying Cain and
Able as the children of Eve. Or Mary as the mother of Jesus. Or Romulus
as the child of Rhea Silvia.

> and then *misread* his association with vines - in other words, see
> him called 'god of vines' and not realise that this meant grape vines.

Umm....I can't imagine why anyone would be expected to miss that
association since the inhumi feed on the red, red wine of the human
body. I guess unless the lianas (grape vines ARE lianas, btw) had humans
growing on them and the inhuma extracted the blood by mashing the people
with their feet, this would be just too hard an allusion for anyone to
pick up on.

> Is this word-play supposed to be just a joke, or something useful to
> understanding the story?

Funny this should be asked. When I claim the word play surrounding the
Story of Frog has something to do with understanding the Book of the New
Sun, people accuse me of building castles in the sky.

I'm going to quit now, because if I say anything more it would be really
uncharitable.

u+16b9