(urth) Dionysus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 12:37:13 PST 2010

> Andrew Mason-
> (Tangent: I do in fact notice occasional British-seeming things
> turning up in Wolfe's work. One that I can recall is in 'The Story of
> the Student and his Son'. That story turns on a pun between 'thesis'
> and 'Theseus'. But the student is clearly a doctoral student, given
> the length of time he is taking over it, and Americans normally speak
> of doctoral dissertations, not theses. There are other examples which
> I can't recall right now.)

I don't know about this. A thesis is usually a written paper arguing a
point, not a person fighting Ogres.

I apologize without regret for the snark, Andrew, but this makes it
clear that you can grasp the principle that I'm getting at.

To tell the truth, I've heard both in the US. I think, actually, thesis
is an older term in the US that Wolfe is probably more familiar with.

u+16b9