(urth) Dionysus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 15:34:39 PST 2010

>> James Wynn wrote:
>> Dionysus is called the God of Vine, literally. I know of no place where he is called the God of the Grape Vine.
> Andrew Mason-
> Historically, 'vine' means grape vine. Its use to mean any climbing
> plant is quite recent. That is why Dionysus is called God of the Vine.
> On the other hand, he is also associated with ivy, so a link with
> climbing plants more generally is not ruled out.

So...we agree that he's is the god of the "vine", not just grape vines.
I do not believe specific species of vines mattered to Wolfe for this
association one little bit. Dionysus was the God of the Vine.  Inhumi
were, are, or become vines on Blue as well as Green in some way no one
but Wolfe seems to understand. Done. When the Sileni drank wine they
believed they were possessed by a spirit of that wine. When inhuma drink
blood their children are possessed by the spirit of the person who gave
the blood. The word inhuma comes from a word association between the
bird and the designations for Dionysus. Quetzal performs many of the
deeds from Dionysus's life.

The Outsider is associated with Dionysus in the novel. Silk is
associated both with Dionysus (since it is said by some that the "son of
Thyone" is the son of Pas), and he is associated with followers of
Dionysus (multiple instances).

I'm glad we cleared that up.

u+16b9