(urth) Dionysus

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 03:50:59 PST 2010

> Gerry Quinn-
> If the inhumi are associated with vines, those are the lianas on
> Green, which as far as I know do not yield grapes.  'Vine' is a name
> for any traiuling or climbing plant - not every vine is a grape vine.
> To my mind this is no connection.

[roll eyes] Right. And the word "vine" is the only association to
Dionysus in the book right? That's the only thing I've used to draw a
connection to the inhumi and Dionysus, right? I just picked "vine" out
of the text and said "Aha! Dionysus!" It's this kind of response that
makes me think that most important thing to you is Winning the
Argument.  Dionysus is called the God of Vine, literally. I know of no
place where he is called the God of the Grape Vine. The Roman historian,
Tacitus, noted that some people had associated the God of the Temple in
Jerusalem to Dionysus. Why? Primarily, because there was a gold-leaf
vine adorning the Temple.

> Does your professional work involve literary criticism?  Because if it
> does not, the strength of that argument is less than you suppose, and
> its import may be considerably different from what you intend.  Ideas
> *are* easy. Rigorously worked out ideas that can stand up to criticism
> are not. I am impressed only by arguments that can stand the heat of
> critical analysis.

No idea can stand up to contempt in the mind of the scoffer. It does no
good to come up with rigorously worked out ideas, if the hearer refuses
to inform himself of the required foundations to understand the rigor of
the ideas. You have to be willing to be convinced if possible.

u+16b9