(urth) Ouen and Dorcas and ??

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Dec 7 10:41:37 PST 2010

I'm confused---why then do I have the names for all the epigraphs? Perhaps I did some research; that rings a bell....
At any rate, the best argument against G.W. being the source of the epigraphs is that the original 4 volumes actually seem to come from Severian, who addresses pertinent remarks to the reader at the end of each volume. So he is far from ignorant of literary conventions. And so he should be, with the Library so close at hand, and Ultan to call up any book for him.
On the other hand, such conventions are the editor's domain, and one could as well argue that G.W. fiddled with the endings.
And where is the poetry from the 25th century? There is good reason for G.W. to quote from 20th c and earlier poetry, but no reason for Severian whatsoever.