(urth) dog-ape

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 7 08:03:49 PST 2010

>Andrew Mason: It isn't just that it can make human vocalisations; it clearly means what it says
>(as does Oreb). Both seem to have an intelligence which is sub-human but very real.

I don't remember the cynocephalus making any noise. It just seems to look in on Severian then
leave. There are revelations about Oreb at the end of RttWhorl which do involve the limits on
its intelligence, I think

>Severian says at some point that some animals have learnt a few words, so this is in keeping with
>the future setting. There are also the writing rats.)

Yes. Now I sorta like the legendary wolf family who adopt Frog. They can talk a lot and are able to
carry swords.

>I'm not sure if the dog-headed ape is just a baboon, as Mo Holkar suggests, or a strange hybrid; but
>given the human-animal hybrids of Severian's time, it's not too surprising that there were would also be
>animal-animal hybrids.

Well, the thing is that Papio cynocephalus is the name for a species of baboon. If we were told there is
a tiger shark in BotNS we wouldn't need to assume there is species hybridization going on.

There are the human-animal hybrids you mention (created by Father Inire). But they serve a particular function
suited to their hybridization- like  dog-men set to guard the gold wagon at Orithya. I don't see how a dog-ape
is specially suited for hospital work.

I think the creature is there to do what we see it do- look in on Severian. It was at a crucial juncture in his
life. The Claw/Severian did its first acknowledged public miraculous work. It freaked out Dorcas. Freaked out
Agilus even more. Resurrection from an avern wound is worth looking in upon a guy. Especially if one has
"a presentiment of his future".