(urth) Dionysus

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Mon Dec 6 23:33:24 PST 2010

James Wynn wrote:
[snip]
> Mani the cat was neither the cat nor the elemental spirit, but something
> new from their joining. Mani didn't drone on and on as an all-wise
> immortal spirit. Or regale others about his non-life as an elemental.
> Because he didn't...couldn't remember it. At least not consciously, most
> of the time. There was that time at the meeting with the Neighbors
however:

> " 'My name is Horn.' I offered my hand.
> He took it, and this time I felt his hand _and remembered it_ . It was
> hard, and seemed to be covered with short, stiff hairs. Beyond that I
> will not say."[oBW HB 272]

I don't see why you attach such importance to that quote. It has nothing to
do with what happened in the pit. It is a direct reference to what Silkhorn
wrote on page 267, about the first moments after the Neighbor woke Horn and
told him to get up and come with him:

    " 'Come with me,' he said, and he helped me to stand up, grasping both
my hands while lifting me under the arms. I ought to remember how his hands
felt, I am sure - but I do not. My mind was on other things, perhaps.
    "He strode off through the trees, then turned to me and took my hand
again to make certain that I was following him."

-Roy