(urth) Ouen and Dorcas and ??

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Dec 6 20:21:30 PST 2010

On 12/6/2010 7:33 PM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> Sorry---I wasn't clear. I'm just saying that's how it's done in
> translated editions of a work in another language. Wolfe would stick
> closely to the form he is aping (parodying? at least having fun with).
>
> Same with Latro's scroll. If you see a translation of Egyptian or
> Tibetan or something that clearly doesn't follow Western
> traditions---even Greek or old Norse or what have you---you will see
> chapter headings and other breaks that were entirely introduced by the
> translator, functioning as an editor, who is taking control and
> ownership (almost) of the work. They are constructions imposed upon the
> text for the convenience of the modern reader.
>
> Also, the epigraphs give it away---Severian has never heard of Kipling.

But he has heard Kipling's work, however many times removed. The Boy
Called Frog is Mowgli from _The Jungle Book_; the verse could have held
its form better over the ages sufficient for the translator to recognize
it and give the original. The bible verse for Joseph's dream has
certainly survived.

That make me wonder how the dialog from the Jungle Garden would have
been notionally rendered by Severian.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >