(urth) Ouen and Dorcas and ??

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Dec 6 17:59:15 PST 2010

Possibly. My reading of Mist was that Wolfe was simply mimicking even
more closely what editors of Greek and Latin, through the centuries,
actually did and still do---since Latro writes in Latin or Greek.

It's the same joke, but a different treatment. So you'd expect a
difference, regardless of the absence of notes. Besides, some jokes are
better left unexplained

On 12/6/2010 8:38 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 12/6/2010 12:34 PM, Ryan Dunn wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 6, 2010, at 1:31 PM, Andrew Mason wrote:
>>
>>> I think we know it's -cas, because Ouen says his mother was called
>>> Cas, but the picture he has is of Dorcas. Also - though this is a clue
>>> only for us, the readers, not for Severian - the chapter in which the
>>> old boatman talks about his wife is called 'Dorcas', although that
>>> name is mentioned nowhere in it.
>>

>> Do we know whether Severian titled the chapters of his own tome? I
>> had never thought of that.
>
> The translator's notes in _Soldier of the Mist_ detail how he uses the
> first words of each entry as best he can tell as the chapter title out
> of a lack of any other identification within the manuscript. The lack
> of a similar practice mentioned in the otherwise similar length notes
> for the BOTNS + URTH suggest it had chapter demarcations, though they
> may ot have been quite so lurid ("The Key to the Universe") in the
> original tongue.
>
> There is also the possibility that the book has passed thou other
> hands and been copied with errors and elisions and deliberate changes
> over the eons of future history past.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101206-1, 12/06/2010
Tested on: 12/6/2010 8:59:16 PM