(urth) Ouen and Dorcas and ??

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Mon Dec 6 10:15:55 PST 2010

On Dec 6, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well, he couldn't very well call her "Dorcas". That would ruin the surprise at the end of the story.
> Even calling her "Dor" would have given away too much. "Cas" is a nice disguise for Dorcas in English
> where stress is usually on the first syllable.

Surprise? I thought this was the one place where Wolfe was too obvious, but by then I'd figured out that the chapter titles are clues.  The boatman looking for Cas is in the chapter titled " Dorcas" but we don't meet Dorcas til the next chapter "Hildegrin".  I was never surprised that Dorcas was the boatman's Cas resurrected, and I'm REALLY dense when it comes to solving mysteries.