(urth) Father Inire Theory

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Dec 6 05:31:41 PST 2010

I missed this comment of James'. Yes, Typhon was definitely
Alexander-like in his rapid conquests, whatever they were. That's a
great point.

And further, Alexander presents an excellent example of an emperor being
treated like a god after his death (horns and all). His example led to
all sorts of contortions for some Christians, too, because they felt
they had to acknowledge or somehow deal with his pre-Christian godliness.

And he is the first God Emperor of Dune, too.

On 12/5/2010 9:59 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
> But James seems like a very intelligent, well-read guy who is passionate about the work of Gene Wolfe. So I wasn't just
> going to just dismiss his theory. Maybe he is seeing something in the jigsaw that I was not yet able to see. In
> continuing discussions, the name of Alexander (the Great) was brought up as a model for Typhon. Bells and lights went off
> for me, knowing the story of Alexander, his mother Olympia, his tutor Aristotle, his father King Phillip, his conquests and
> his final years of tyranny and debauchery before his premature death. There it is- Spring Wind + Typhon almost to a T.
>
> The rise and fall of Alexander's empire established the 300 year gnostic stage upon which Christianity arose. The rise and
> fall of Typhon's empire established the 1000 year stage upon which Severian's ascension was built. Perhaps others are not
> but I feel enlightened and enriched in my understanding of BotNS by this connection. And having respect for a fellow Wolfe
> lover allowed me to attain this enlightenment. Thanks James!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101205-1, 12/05/2010
Tested on: 12/6/2010 8:31:42 AM