(urth) Ouen and Dorcas and ??

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Dec 6 04:31:41 PST 2010

I have noticed this as well, but in a society in which quantification is
not precise, and a mother can die several days after giving birth, this
may be exactly correct as far as Ouen knows.

However, if this were a Gothic mystery, we would assume the father was
at least hiding something to protect his son---such as, she killed
herself some time during Ouen's first year. Most people raised on such
half-truths would not question such a small discrepancy.

What else could this hide?

On 12/6/2010 6:00 AM, Lee Berman wrote:
>> >Ouen: I never knew her, sieur.  Cas they called her, but she died when I was young.
>> >in childbirth, my father said.
>
> Borski takes this to imply that Dorcas had a pregnancy and birth after Ouen. I agree
> that it is a strange (though not impossible) turn of phrase to refer to one's self at
> birth as "young". I would express it as "she died when I was born".

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101205-1, 12/05/2010
Tested on: 12/6/2010 7:31:42 AM