(urth) Father Inire theory

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 5 09:40:54 PST 2010

Lee Berman wrote:

>>Jeff Wilson: Maxellindis' uncle was under constant observation by Eata for four or
>>five years on their boat before *he* died, also during the time when
>>Inire was actively serving Autarch Severian.
>
> We could thus disqualify Maxellindis' uncle from consideration as a version of Inire.
> Or it could be a push toward option 2: The multiple versions of Inire are independently
> operating copies of a larger god-like being. I've been leaning toward #2 for a while.

But does this not undemine the idea of Inire keeping a constant watch
on Severian, which I thought was one of the things motivated this
theory?  He clearly is keeping a watch on Severian, and I'm open to
the idea that he is doing so in secret ways as well as the ways we
know about; and that the various simians are linked with this is a
plausible hypothesis, since there does seem to be a weirdly recurring
theme which needs some explanation. But that implies a single centre
of consciousness at which the tracking takes place. If Inire is
divided into various parts - and has been for a long time, if the
boatman is one of them - it's not clear that there is any longer a
single plan to what he is doing.

(So unlike some, I think the monkeys are actually the most plausible
part of the theory. There's something going on, and it is somehow
connected with Inire. But the more diverse kinds of similarity are
allowed into the theory, the less compelling it looks, as far as I can
see.)