(urth) Father Inire Theory

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sun Dec 5 08:16:27 PST 2010

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>

> I'm not sure if this is an expression of personal interest and request for
> an elaboration of
> my Father Inire theory or an attempt at invalidating it via reductio ad
> absurdum. If the latter
> I will suggest, as before, that it is a waste of time. Like shooting fish
> in a barrel. It is my
> opinion that the superficial mysteries of BotNS which can be solved by
> careful reading, logic and
> a little research are solved. The mysteries which remain, if any do,
> require a large dose of
> intuition.
>
> And intuition is highly individualized. Someone else's imagination is easy
> to dismiss as
> ridiculous.  I'm not sure if there is any way to know if the intuitive
> theories which are now
> being proprosed are entirely the product of the imagination of the
> theorist or if that imagination
> happens to match the imagination of Gene Wolfe as he was writing BotNs.

There *is* a way to know, or at least to make some determination of
likelihood.  That is to examine the ways in which these theories are
supported or contradicted by the text.

Intuition is not an ability unique to certain inspired readers.  Those
readers who developed the theories you disdain as "superficial" used their
intuition too, but they also attended to the text as a whole; they shaped
their theories, you might say, between the hammer of intuition and the anvil
of rationality.  (And the work is not done, but there are indications that
some progress has been made.)

The point Jeff is making is that anyone with an imagination can come up with
a million arbitrary theories, but they are only meaningful once they find
support in the text.  Granted, it is possible to assert that a text supports
almost any interpretation, so long as one is sufficiently free in explaining
away apparent contradictions and logical leaps.  But if one takes this view,
then all readings are equally valid, and no reading - however absurd - is
worth any more than another.

- Gerry Quinn