(urth) Ouen and Dorcas

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Sat Dec 4 12:02:40 PST 2010

On Dec 4, 2010, at 1:30 PM, Andrew Mason wrote:

> Lee Berman wrote:
>
>> Either way, Dorcas will probably end up living with her son Ouen, whom Severian has assigned to
>> seek her out. He is twice her age but she will probably be attracted to his kind, gentle nature
>> and he to her for obvious reasons. ("ewwww").
>
> Ouen _knows_ that Dorcas is his mother - or at least he has the means
> easily to work it out; he knows his mother's name, he has her picture,
> Severian sends him to her immediately after quizzing him about his
> mother. His situation is quite different from Severian's when he met
> her.

Can I point out one other time issue?

If the old boatman (in his 70's?) is looking for his wife, Dorcas, who is mid-to-late-teens when resurrected. That would suggest at least fifty years have passed since she died, thereabouts.

Wouldn't Ouen, her son, be in his fifties then? I seem to recall he is more in his twenties or thirties.

Just asking whether I may have missed a description or two. If that cannot be reconciled, then we have to assume the boatman was indeed likely in his thirties or forties when he hooked it up with 'Cas.

...ryan