(urth) Dionysus

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sat Dec 4 08:50:08 PST 2010

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jane Delawney
  Why the face thing by the way? I suspect a mourning ritual gotten slightly out of hand. Silk may have intended only to make shallow cuts in his skin, including the face, neck and arms, which would be very Greco-Roman in fact; but he either made a resolution or became too focussed on the moment, and made one or several of those neck or arm/wrist cuts a little deeper, then deeper  still, with the intention of bleeding to death.

  All of which begs the question of where Silk's spirit has really gone. 'To join Pas' is a possibility - the name 'Passilk' seems to be current, and there was that moment in BoTLS where Silk had a vision of Pas with two heads, one of them his, ie. Silk's, own (naturally Silk has no idea at any point that Typhon's second head is that of a slave). One may hope not; it's much more encouraging to think that he has gone to live with and in the Outsider.
Maybe I am being over-simplistic, but my impression is that Silk's spirit is dying, but not his body (as the Neighbour says).  As you put it, a mourning ritual gets out of hand, but not fatally to Silk's body.

Conversely, Horn is in the opposite situation.  His body dies, while his spirit flies to Silk's body.

What happens Silk?  I think his spirit remains dormant in his old body, now occupied by Horn's spirit.  (Aspects of Pas seem to be there too; although uploading is distinct from possession, I suspect a certain amount of spirit mingling has taken place here too.)

As time goes on Horn falls into despair, and Silk's spirit recovers and uptimately displaces Horn.

But what happens Horn?  That I can't answer.

I guess I need to re-read these before coming ti any definitive conclusions.

- Gerry Quinn