(urth) Severian's Phraseology...

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Dec 3 21:39:33 PST 2010

On 12/3/2010 10:42 PM, Ryan Dunn wrote:
> Anyone else wonder why Severian as Autarch consistently refers to the collective "we" when talking to others?
>
> "Our memories never fade."
>
> "We are going to keep this."
>
> etc.
>
> And yet, Severian the Narrator, never does this.
>
> Anyone else find this peculiar?

As you know, Bob, it was somewhat customary for western sovereigns to do
this, "we" including the notional persons of the state, the crown, the
royal consort in unity, etc. and "I" the natural person who happens to
hold the above positions, speaking in some lesser capacity. The Autarchy
takes this about as far as literally possible, the Autarch being the
minds of hundreds of actual people hosted by the humble Commonwealther
who was called to that office.

It is also a clever bit of misdirection, since "I" occasionally becomes
Thecla the Narrator without either of them noticing.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >