(urth) Who's right?

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Fri Dec 3 15:21:14 PST 2010

On Dec 3, 2010, at 5:03 PM, Andrew Mason wrote:

> Ryan Dunn wrote:
>
>> I'm saying that at least four characters being described as monkeys is noteworthy in the text.
>
> It cerainly looks as if it means something. Can you tell me who these
> characters are and where they are described as monkeys, so i can check
> it out?

RUDESIND:

"The old man cocked his head. 'Why, what help was they to begin? Do you know?'

"When I admitted I did not, he scrambled down from the ladder like an aged monkey, seeming all arms and legs and wrinkled neck; his hands were as long as my feet, the crooked fingers laced with blue veins. 'I'm Rudesind the curator.'"

INIRE:

"More fantastic still were the tales of his vizier, the famous Father Inire, who looked like a monkey and was the oldest man in the world."

FECHIN:

"'He was the worst of us all, that Fechin. A tall, wild boy with red hair on his hands, on his arms. Like a monkey's arms, so that if you saw them reaching around the corner to take something, you'd think, except for the size, that it was a monkey taking it.'	"

"I looked at him, and he spread those long, thin, monkey arms..."

UTURUNCU/INIRE:
(not described as a monkey, but crooked in stature and holding a staff with a monkey head.)

"The old man had a staff as crooked as himself, topped with the dried head of a monkey."

APE-DOG IN LAZARET:
(not a person, but there's the monkey again, spying on Severian)

"An ape with the head of a dog ran down the aisle, paused at my bed to look at me, then ran on."

MYSTERIOUS JUNGLE MONKEY-MAN:
(deduced by Severian as a monkey, but definitely spying on Severian.)

"Birds unknown to me called overhead, and once a monkey who might, save for his four hands, have been a wizened, red-bearded man in fur, spied on me from a fork as high as a spire."

...ryan