(urth) Who's Right?

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 11:09:18 PST 2010

>     We're not talking about christianity. Lee asked what would a 20 AD
>     Jew find special about Jesus.
>

>  That's hard to say, since we have no record of anything Jesus did
> between the ages of 12 and 30.  He doesn't seem to have begun any
> public teaching (besides the episode in the synagogue at age 12)
> before his baptism by John.  Very possibly a 20 AD Jew might not have
> found anything particularly special about him.

Time and dislocation have made the Gospels very Wolfean. Jesus was a
very controversial figure. A lot of people did want him arrested and
humiliated or just plain dead for what he said--presumably regarding the
Temple and it's traditions. People are constantly trying to catch him up
or talk himself into trouble. The disciples considered it suicide for
them to even enter Jerusalem. But the authorities only wanted to punish
him if they could avoid direct implication--presumably because most
people considered him a holy man because of his deeds. It's not until
his final insult--driving the money changers out of the Court of the
Gentiles that the leaders felt they had to "fish or cut bait".

But none of this is systematically explained. It's all related in
subtext. So it's not a straight-forward answer why he was so
controversial, why he was attacked by mobs at least twice, etc. John's
Gospel says we have no more than a fraction of all he said.

u+16b9