(urth) Academic commentary

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 3 09:44:55 PST 2010

I can't find it---it wasn't Stockton. The one I'm thinking of actually
concerns how the Devil became Pope, or made a wizard Pope, simply by
being a practicing necromancer and acting in as depraved a manner as
possible. The Cardinals were jealous and tried to kill him by black
magic, but there were several twists. Damned if I can remember who wrote it!

Probably not the one James is thinking of.