(urth) God/Increate in the New Sun

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Thu Dec 2 11:29:45 PST 2010

Dan'l wrote:
> No, I don't beleive that there is any place in New Sun, or the
> first-person sections of Short Sun where the Increate acts directly.
> The only (unambiguously?) miraculous events in the entire Solar cycle
> seem to happen when someone who was not present at the event -- Horn
> in Long Sun, the Next Generation in Short Sun -- is doing the
> narrating.
>
> This may be significant.

If you grant that Silk's enlightenments were supernatural and came from the
Outsider -- known as the Increate in NS -- then Silkhorn professed an
encounter with the Outsider when he prayed and sacrificed (bread and wine)
at an old Neighbor altar on a hill near Blanko. See chapter 19 of IGJ,
particularly pages 284-85. Nothing tangible happened, but the context makes
it quite clear to me -- an unbeliever -- that this incident is evocative of
the Christian God and was intended to be perceived as such.

-Roy