(urth) God/Increate in the New Sun

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Dec 2 11:10:14 PST 2010

On 12/2/2010 11:38 AM, Craig Brewer wrote:
> All this talk about atheism has me wondering since it's been a couple of years
> now since I've actually re-read it: are there any passages in New Sun where the
> Increate acts directly? In Long Sun, obviously, we have Silk's opening vision.
> But is there anything equivalent with Severian that is (or appears to be)
> something that wasn't the Hiero's doing?

The only thing that I can think of is that Severian's potential ability
to heal and raise the dead is a gift from the Increate in the same way
Joseph was given the the ability to interpret predictive dreams by G-d.
It is indicated in URTH by Sev' recollection of the OT verse describing
Joseph's own dream as reproduced in the brown book. The parallel is very
close, esp in that Joseph needs help from others (their dreams) to
foretell events outside his own life the way Sev needs to draw on
outside energies to perform healings on and to raise other people.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >