(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 76, Issue 8

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 08:41:10 PST 2010

> Nicholas Goodman-
> Here is a fallacy: the slippery slope.
> After reading /Attending Daedalus/, I thought Wright was "eschewing
> the traditional religious interpretation" of the Sun books because of
> his physicalist worldview (though I do not know his worldview and he
> never announces it to my knowledge). I'm a physicalist myself. If you
> had read Wright's book you would see that he criticizes the religious
> readings of Wolfe on the basis that those readers are religious.

I think the Logician term for that is "tit for tat". And here is an
applicable opportunity to address the motives of a writer to understand
his text. It would be a valid refutation of Wright's arguments to say
that it is circular and that there is a reasonable probability that it
exemplifies what he attempts to debunk. That would have been a good
argument from the vantage of hindsight.

u+16b9