(urth) Academic commentary

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 15:33:05 PST 2010

>> James Wynn wrote-
>> If you are discussing Jameson's or Wright's arguments then it is as
>> irrelevant why they did not offer some other argument as it is to
>> speculate why St. Paul did not preach Confucianism.
>
> António Pedro Marques wrote-
> But that is not the issue. The issue, as originally stated, is that at
> a certain point some authors make some conclusions that don't follow
> from their premises, or fail to make those that do. Speculating why
> that happens is important because it may always be that their
> conclusions do match the premises after all - but one has to explain
> why/how -, or the discrepancy is real and only finding a cause for it
> may lay the matter provisorily at rest.

I think you are building a greater foundation for this issue that truly
exists. As originally stated there were three posts that all agreed that
Wright's premise that the Increate was an invention of the
Hierogrammates was undermined by the fact that Tzadkiel, Barbatus, and
Famulimus worshipped Severian. At this point Lee opined:

    "My impression is that Wright interprets BotNS from an atheist point
    of view because he is, himself a devout atheist and perhaps
    unwilling to acknowledge spirituality in the work of an author he so
    admires, despite awareness of Wolfe's religious leanings."

Okay. Lee called it an "impression", so he is acknowledging that his
assessment is not especially fact-based. But it would be an awfully
damning debility on Wright's part if it were true, so perhaps this
assessment should require backing-up with a couple quotes. I mean, maybe
Wright was just not overly impressed with the Heiros pretenses of
obeisance? Many people are not impressed with my wonderful arguments.
How convenient would it be for me to opine that they had some
fundamental bias that prevented them from seeing the noses on their faces?

u+16b9