(urth) academic commentary

Thomas Bitterman tom at bitterman.net
Wed Dec 1 13:20:59 PST 2010

2010/12/1 António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>

> Thomas Bitterman wrote (01-12-2010 02:30):
>
>> 2010/11/30 António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com
>> <mailto:entonio at gmail.com>>
>>
>>    Thomas Bitterman wrote (30-11-2010 18:55):
>>
>>        2010/11/30 António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com
>>        <mailto:entonio at gmail.com>
>>        <mailto:entonio at gmail.com <mailto:entonio at gmail.com>>>
>>

>>            Thomas Bitterman wrote (30-11-2010 02:22):
>>
>>                Another way of looking at it.  The question is "How did
>>        Wright
>>                miss/not
>>                include an obvious (and likely superior) interpretation
>>        that any
>>                careful
>>                  reader would read?".  The answer is "Because it made
>>        him feel
>>                uncomfortable".  This looks like a clear case of arguing
>>        against the
>>                author rather than the thesis.
>>
>>            But is it more complimenting to answer "Because it's above his
>>            league?"? I
>>            certainly don't think that's the case.
>>
>>        That is a false dichotomy.  There are other ways to answer which
>>        do not
>>        involve speculation on Wright's personal properties.  I would even
>>        suggest that the question itself is not helpful/applicable to
>>        understanding a non-fiction thesis.
>>
>>    At the end of the day the fact remains that Wright left a certain
>>    path unexplored and that demands an explanation. And that is
>>    lacking. It should have been made explicit from the onset.
>>
>> Wright's thesis stands or falls on its internal logic and ability to
>> shed light on the material.  It is not dependent on what he didn't do
>> except in so far as a different theory might be better, and that is a
>> separate argument.  It certainly doesn't depend upon any imagined
>> reasons for why he did/didn't come to different conclusions.
>>

> I don't think this is getting anywhere.

I agree, and will be brief.

> The issue here is that there is a dimension to the work that Wright hasn't
> explored in his generally-applicable scheme. That simply and definitely
> demands an explanation.

And I say it doesn't.

> Maybe I should have said 'methodologically uncomfortable/inconvenient' and
> we wouldn't be having this conversation (though going by what you say
> there's no difference).

That is almost exactly the difference.  The statement "Wright's methodology
does not permit a reading in which spiritual beings actually exist" is very
different from the statement "Wright adopted a methodology which prohibits a
reading in which spiritual beings exist because he is an atheist and that
sort of reading makes him uncomfortable".  The first is very informative and
leads to interesting questions such as "What other methodologies could be
brought to bear, and what can they reveal that Wright's did not?"  The
second simply speculates on the author's motives, which is out of place in a
discussion of non-fiction.