(urth) Who's Right?

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 10:51:03 PST 2010

>James Wynn: I should also say, Gerry, that I don't follow every thread really
>closely so I'm not exactly clear what you said to which Lee took offense..

Oh, I am not offended by criticism or conservative gatekeepers, though I can see
how that conclusion could be reached from my OP. Actually, that would be very
hypocritical of me since, in my participation on another board devoted to a rather
cryptic and mysterious artist (David Lynch), I myself tend to function as such a
gatekeeper (hopefully in a nice way; I usually don't like meanness). I was just interested
in what people might say if asked about their own such role here.

Since the topic is up, Gerry did say something recently which left me puzzled, though not
offended. It was something like, "your theory on Shadow Children is bad but it is much
better than your abyssmal theory on Father Inire".

There are others who take a similar view of my Inire theory (still a work in progress)
but I am confused as to why it might provoke such rancor. The major premises it is based
on are:

1. BotNS draws from Greek and other pagan mythology

2. Greek and other pagan mythological gods often changed their shape and size and walked
the earth in various human and animal guises.

3. It is a not-uncommon SF trope to conflate pagan gods and angels with aliens.

4. In BotNS, Father Inire is an alien.

5. In Tzadkiel/Zak we see an alien/angelic creature appear and reappear in various animal
and human guises.

There are dozens of minor bits of evidence which can be added but just given these five
premises I think it is very reasonable to consider that Father Inire appears and reappears
in BotNS in various human and animal guises. This theory has helped me onto a path of
understanding some mysteries about this story which had bothered me for years.

I don't think or expect it would be so helpful for everyone else but is it really that bad?
Perhaps Gerry or others can explain which of the five premises is false, irrelevant
or otherwise invalid, thus making my theory of Father Inire the archetype of bad theories.