(urth) academic commentary

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 09:25:43 PST 2010

I generally agree. Or rather, I absolutely agree about things internal to the
text.

When it comes to the author's stated intentions or explanations of a text,
though, I'm more conflicted. That's particularly true with Wolfe. Personally, I
have to say that any text that can only be understood in relation to something
outside of it (an interview, a conversation with the author, etc.) is a flawed
text. With Wolfe, if there are some "puzzles" that can only be answered when
Wolfe tells us the answer, it's his fault for creating a puzzle that's too
obscure.

But the opposite extreme can also be a difficulty when people impose
biographical information on a text. So, Wolfe is Catholic. Must every single one
of his stories, novels, and poems then be completely consistent with Catholic
theology? That assumption sometimes operates in our theories on this list, and
it's not necessarily warranted. (I'm guilty of it, too.) I think this is a
special problem when dealing with speculative fiction since it's not just the
physical world that a genre writer can play with, but the
philosophical/theological/ideological world as well.

Wolfe makes the problem of the intentional fallacy particularly...problematic.
He demands more of his readers than many writers, but he also writes in such a
way that implies intense authorial control of even the tiniest details. Reading
Wolfe is often a difficult exercise in navigating between puzzle-solving and
interpretation. With puzzles, the author is always right. With interpretation,
that's less always the case. But with many of Wolfe's stories, it's difficult to
tell when we just haven't understood the clues and when we're dealing with an
ambiguity that requires an act of interpretation on the reader's part. When it
comes to the scope of an author's authority, they have every right to speak
definitively about how to solve one of their puzzles in an interview, say. But
their interpretation of their work is ultimately one among a larger
conversation. An author has every right to tell us we're wrong about what
happens; he has less right to tell us we're wrong about what it means.

The difficulty with Wolfe is that it's often hard to tell where the one stops
and the other begins.

(To make this relate to Wright, I think he's has every right to read New Sun
*against* the religious meaning many of us might assume Wolfe intended. If
that's the reading the text ultimately supports - and, granted, that's the point
of the debate with him - then that's what it supports. It doesn't matter at all
what Wolfe thought he was writing or what we'd like it to mean if the text
ultimately goes in a Wright's direction. Lot of *IF*s there, of course, but I
think it's just really bad logic to say that Wright has to be wrong, a priori,
because Wolfe is Catholic or because he's said in interviews that the book has a
"true" religious meaning, or what have you. It always has to go back to the best
reading of the books as we have them.)