(urth) Shadow Children and Inhumi

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 08:59:35 PST 2010

From: Mark Millman markjmillman at gmail.com

LB> If there is a Dionysian deity popping up in
LB> various guises throughout Severian's story,

> That seems to be a big if, except in so far as Wolfe imitates
> classical models.  Remember, Nessus and the Commonwealth are Byzantium
> and its empire.

[snip interesting comments, including useful reminder of origin of Master Ash's
name]

I think it's going too far to say that the Commonwealth /is/ Byzantium.  It's
modeled on Byzantium, but there are many obvious differences.  However, I'd be
interested if people who know more history would mention any similarities in
detail.  Did members of the upper classes challenge people to duels by giving
them stones?  Did commoners praise the emperor every time they mentioned him?
Were parts of Byzantium abandoned to omophagists?

Jerry Friedman