(urth) cynocephalus

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 8 21:21:24 PDT 2010

>Jane Delawney- as of right now I have no idea what if anything
>this refers to, save forward to the ape-like creature on the Ship (or,
>if you prefer, that ape-like creature may refer back to the cynocephalus

There has been some rather lively discussion, originating with Robert Borski
(Solar Labyrinth) and elaborated in here, that Father Inire, called monkey-
like in his first description, may be a shapeshifter who appears as the
cynocephalus (a.k.a. baboon), a uakari and perhaps some other monkeys too.
Just to keep tabs on Severian.

There has been discussion of some other monkey-like characters and their
possible relationship to the elusive Father Inire. Some do not like the
idea.