(urth) Grand Unified Theory

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Tue Aug 31 11:06:51 PDT 2010

James Wynn wrote:

> Really, as Wolfe originally envisioned /The Book of the New Sun/, there
> was no real change at the end. His publishers urged him to write /Urth
> of the New Sun/. It was a bit of a compromise from Wolfe's perspective.

No real change implies Severian failed at bringing the New Sun in the
original BotNS and this was rewritten for UotNS? I think his success is
foreshadowed and implied in the original books. Without success, he couldn't
have become either the Conciliator or Apu Punchau.

I think we need to dig up the references in support of your Hyacinth theory
at this point: Hyacinth's lightness, the context in which Siikhorn says her
victory over the soldier was a trick, etc. Do you have those references now?

There's another reported fight where Hyacinth at least held her own against
Chenille. And Chenille (as the daughter of Tussah) has at least a portion of
SIlk's super-reflexes. She can throw a knife with amazing accuracy, for
example.