(urth) Grand Unified Theory

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sat Aug 28 07:02:27 PDT 2010

James Wynn wrote:

> WHAT I DO UNDERSTAND (or think I do) is that this dream is connected to

the dream Silk has at the beginning of "Lake of the Long Sun." In that

one, Orpine has Mucor's face and she is "clawing" at the dagger in her

side. And there too, Hyacinth sits beside him in the deathcoach. And,

voila, Silk gives his old, bloodstained handkerchief --the one that

covered Orpine's face --- to Hyacinth "to cover her nose and mouth". So

here we again have a connection made between Hy and Orpine. But I
> don't claim to know what it means.

I'm not sure how significant Orpine is herself. Silk never met her while she
was alive. But the Orpine/Mucor connection makes a lot of sense, since
Orpine died because she was possessed by Mucor. In my "Dream Team" article
on WolfeWiki, I try to explain many of the RttW dreams with astral
projections of Mora and Mucor, etc.

There's one more short reference to the dream on p. 158 of RttW: "It was as
if there were shooting stars in his hands, like the stars at the bottom of
the grave to which Silk and Hyacinth had driven Orpine's body in a dream he
recalled with uncanny clarity."  That was on the Whorl, before Silkhorn came
to Blue, so the dream he remembered must be the one in LotLS. I don't
understand much of that dream, but it seems to be a prophetic, enlightened
one. It told him if he went deep enough in the Whorl he would see the stars
and that he must journey there: "Too deep" and "Too long."  (At the time of
the dream he had not seen the stars yet for himself). Covering the face of
Hyacinth with the cloth used for Orpine seems to foretell that she would die
before he reached Blue.