(urth) Grand Unified Theory

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Mon Aug 23 12:48:41 PDT 2010

James Wynn wrote:

> Premise 1: Pas & Kypris = Typhon & Mamelta = Spring Wind & Bird of the
Woods
> (The character list in Book of the Long Sun includes "Chico", Mamelta's
> parrot. Mamelta never mentions a parrot and no parrot makes an
> appearance in the book, so I figure this is a clue from the author that
> Mamelta is "Bird of the Woods").

The character list in LAKE reads:

"Chiquito, a parrot once owned by Mamelta's parents."

No, the word parrot is not mentioned in the book; neither does the bird make
an appearance in it. It had belonged to Mamelta's parents, hundreds of years
earlier back on Urth. She does mention the bird, shortly before her death.
She believed that when she died she would get to go back home and be with
her family.

"When I die, I'll go home. My mother and brothers . . . Chiquito on his
perch in the patio." (LAKE, chapter 13, p-315)

-Roy