(urth) list slowdown

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Aug 17 22:40:04 PDT 2010

On 8/17/2010 2:52 PM, Mark Millman wrote:
> Dear Mr. (my apologies if this should be Dr.) Wilson,

Jeff is fine.

> On Monday 16 August 2010, you wrote:
>
>> Can you seriously say why it is more
>> important for us to post less instead
>> of you to be more selective? I don't
>> follow every thread here any more
>> than I read every line of the newspa-
>> per, or even every article in a maga-
>> zine devoted to a certain subject of
>> my interest.
>
> The other commenters have answered your questions better than I could do.

I asked about your opinion in particular. If you are so loathe to engage
in the discssion even when directly interrogated, why should the
discussion be tailored to the preferences of a non-participant?

>> If it's not the overall volume, would few-
>> er, longer posts suit you?
>
> That certainly would help.
>
>> Would fewer, thicker threads be better?
>
> In my opinion, yes.

IS it that there are fewer choices to make, to read or delete unread
fewer posts, to ignore or follow fewer threads?

>> Equiring minds and Sturgeon's Law-
>> yers want to know.
>
> I don't believe that Mr. Danehy-Oakes addressed any questions to me.

He is but one of the thousands of Acipenserii of whose existence you are
unaware.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >