(urth) The Two Katharines

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 07:33:46 PDT 2010

>Dave T- Sev saw his mother on the Path of Air, about to be sent back to the
> past so he can be born.

>Jeff Wilson- My counter-theory is simpler and avoids most time-meddling:

This counter-theory (pasted in full below) bothers me for a few reasons.

1. Why would it be desirable to avoid most "time-meddling"? We do have time-
travel in the story. Why is it to be avoided?

2. Severian seeing his mother's face everywhere is explained psychologically.
Orphan trauma. But in 5HoC we are shown that seeing one's own face everywhere is
the product of cloning. We do have cloning in this story. As I find common threads
tying all Wolfe books together, I think cloning might be the first theory to
consider in explaining a repeated face, not the mental condition theory.

3. It does not explain why this is called the Path of Air. Nor why a such a small
blip in Severian's mind is so important that it should end up being expressed in
Dr. Talos' play, 60 years earlier.

In the real world, I think Occam's Razor can and should cut out explanations which
involve time travel, clones, dragons, etc. Not so in SF & F. They are on at least
equal footing with more prosaic explanations.

For example, Wizard Of Oz, the book, does not invoke a dream. It is a great SF & F
story, especially for its time.

Wizard of Oz, the movie, is one of the greatest movies of all time. But it isn't
SF & F. It is about the internal conflicts of a creative girl stuck in a drab
life on a farm in Kansas. (okay, it could be Fantasy if there is some doubt at the
end that Oz was only a dream. I don't think there is)

Is BotNS SF & F? I would hate to think Severian drowned in the Gyoll and all that
passes afterward is a dying fantasy. After all, the story ends with him crawling out
the water into the light, onto a dreamy beach where he is revered as a god. Is
"dying dream" a good interpretation? No time travel, space travel or clones
required.

(I do have an alternate theory which addresses these concerns but no time to write it, currently)