(urth) list slowdown

António Marques entonio at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 15:36:16 PDT 2010

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Mark Millman<markjmillman at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Ranjit has asked, more than once, that people limit themselves to five
>> messages per day, but apparently very few people have heeded him.
>
> I'm trying. And this topic seems important enough to use my fourth (I
> believe) for the day.
>
> I agree with Mark. The list is getting a little out of hand, and a lot
> of the current discussion seems to be an elevated version of "No it
> isn't!" "Yes it is!"

I also think Mark is right. Not because I believe in some sort of
control, but because this isn't a chatroom. I guess the idea here is
that messages should present novel content, and that in a clear and
concise way. Just so the archives dont end up with 100000 iterations of
arguments that actually say next to nothing. That's tiresome and
time-consuming to wade through. If we keep to saying things once and not
forcing others to repeat theirs, it might be a lot more productive.
Including not debating endlessly what the text says without looking at
the text. If nothing else, amazon.com is our friend with its 'search
inside' feature.

> (The mailers that start new threads automatically don't help either,
> but I'm not sure what can be done about that.)

Why can't people just 'reply' to 'urth at lists.urth.net' and be done with
it? So far I've gotten the idea that the new thread thing is due to
something they do for their own convenience. I may be wrong.