(urth) Wolfe's Attitude toward his Readers

António Marques entonio at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 06:25:27 PDT 2010

Gerry Quinn wrote:

> From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>
>>Or perhaps it spells out the 9 letter name of the true
>> monarch and creator of the
>> Whorl, GENE WOLFE. We need more hidden wolves in Long Sun, don't we?
>
> But that raises a question. Suppose we convincingly solved such a
> cryptogram. Now, how do we explain the fact of that particular vault
> under Viron having a number with this secret meaning?

It would be breaching the 4th wall. One needs a little fun every now and
then.

> I think that we cannot, just because Wolfe is the author, assume that
> some elements of a story are not merely 'colour'. It would be very
> restrictive for Wolfe. Every time a character booked a hotel room, Wolfe
> would be constrained from saying "he was given the key to room 167", for
> fear that readers would waste time searching for some numerological clue.

But in fact I think Wolfe would merely say he was given the key to *a*
room if the number had no significance. In real life, if the number had
no singificance, we'd probably just not mention it. Though I also think
that the significance of some or even many details can't be determined
from the text, and will never be. I mean, lesser authors sprinkle their
stories with random detail (if they do at all). But in Wolfe's case (as
in many other good authors') I fully expect there to be some embryo of
significance there. Even if it may not never be developped anywhere else.