(urth) The Two Coins

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sun Aug 15 03:10:47 PDT 2010

From: "Ryan Dunn" <ryan at liftingfaces.com>
> On Aug 14, 2010, at 10:21 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:
>
>>> Gerry, I see you use the phrase, "most cases". Other than detective work
>>> by Severian,
>>> what other aspect of a familial clue in BotNS would convey authenticty
>>> to you? Perhaps
>>> you can give some examples of other authentic cases?
>>
>> I was referring to BotNS puzzles in general.  I cannot think of any other
>> familial clues that I give any real credence to.
>>
> What do you make of Little Severian?

Just a kid of that name?  What else should we make of him?  He is hardly an
iteration of Severian in another existence, because he lives in Severian's
Urth.  His family don't have any obvious connection to Severian.. and if
they were distant relatives, so what?  Perhaps his name is simply an
opportunity for Wolfe to point out that sometimes Severian's have sisters
called Severa, although Idon't think he clearly indicates anywhere that
Severian has a sister.

- Gerry Quinn