(urth) The Key to the Universe

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Sat Aug 14 15:17:23 PDT 2010

Ant?nio Pedro Marques wrote:
>> The problem is that my idea is that any planets or stars in Yesod are
>> fakes, only constructs that simulate the appearance and useful features
>> of the authentic ones in Briah, for the convenience of the Yesodis.
>
> Fakes or not, they're matter an energy in a 'place' that should have neither
> unless they're 'travelling in hyperspace'. Though I guess you can say
> they're ships or animations on a ship's screen.

As a point of interest, Apheta says the stars of Yesod aren't so much
fakes as haven't been built yet, and they can only be seen because
"time runs as we ask here, and we like their light." Chapter XX.

That throwaway line is another of the reasons I don't think that Yesod
can be an 'ordinary' Briahtic universe. For Apheta, Severian and
everyone to experience time flowing in one direction, while elsewhere
it's flowing in another... suggests there has to be something hyper
about this place.