(urth) The Key to the Universe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Aug 13 15:40:03 PDT 2010

On 8/13/2010 4:49 PM, James Wynn wrote:
> I mean, who knows what sort of things would interest an Intelligent
> Designer if such a person were located, and why would it matter? Even
> Richard Dawkins has accepted the concept of a personal Intelligent
> Designer as a non-problem so long as the designer were understood to be
> an alien race that developed according natural processes.

That's begging the question, in the original sense. Somehow intelligence
had arise for the first time in the universe, unless you have a steady
state universe where intelligence has always existed. There is very
strong support for the Big Bang, so the steady state model is not
convincing locally.

There are some nested -inflationary schemes like Andrei Linde's (and
also the Qabbala) where both can be true, as tiny bits of universe
undergo local expansion into their own universe-scaled envelope, joined
by a tiny bottleneck to the original, but the inflated scale and the
bottleneck prevent meaningful access after the moment of sub-creation.

This still allows Wolfe to use a similar model in the BOTNS, since he
has license to fudge the bottleneck into a black hole/white hole-sized
opening, just like he fudges FTL and antigravity, giants and giant robots.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
IEEE Student Chapter Blog at
< http://ieeetamut.org >