(urth) The Two Coins

Jack Smith jack.smith.1946 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 13:06:06 PDT 2010

Brass used in  counterfeit coins seems to make them feel greasy.  At least
that's what Mark Twain says:

"I told him I had an old slick counterfeit quarter that warn't no good
because the brass showed through the silver a little, and it wouldn't pass
nohow, even if the brass didn't show, because it was so slick it felt
greasy, and so that would tell on it every time."  --Huckleberry Finn,
Chapter 4

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>wrote:

> >Jeff Wynn- What are these coins made of that feels so greasy? I was
> thinking polished brass, but I don't know.
> >
> > Any metallurgists out there?
>
> My guess is a lead alloy, which would have the golden color, the weight and
> heft of gold, but soft
> and greasy feeling to the touch.

Best wishes,
Jack