(urth) The Two Coins...

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Fri Aug 13 12:42:49 PDT 2010

Ryan Dunn wrote:
> Since the false coins are never used, is it possible these coins bear
Severian's face? I mean, after all, we've come to a bit of consensus that
Dorcas is his grandmother based on a waiter's comment on Ouen and Severian
having a similar profile.

> I know I know, androgynous I know.

The coins minted when Sev was autarch had his ugly, scarred face on them.
Not at all like a woman's.

[snip]
> Regardless of whose face it is on the coin, is it possible that this is
two instances of the same chrisos? If so, could Severian have been watching
himself in the play that night?<

Possible, but why should he? Idle curiosity? Idol curiosity? Why would he
have dropped a coin? He couldn't have been surprised at anything that
happened. And if he had dropped it on purpose, why leave a counterfeit coin?

-Roy