(urth) The Two Coins

Ryan Dunn ryan at liftingfaces.com
Fri Aug 13 09:58:38 PDT 2010

On Aug 13, 2010, at 12:42 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

> Ryan I have long wondered about the source of Talos' false coin. I think it gets too much attention
> to be meaningless. I don't think we are meant to think it comes from the Hierodules and depicts
> Tzadkiel for a number of reasons.
>
> First, Tzadkiel does not really show a mixing of male and female traits. At some
> times he is very male and at other times very female.
>
> Second, I think the falseness is intended to imply evil or badness in some manner. I think Tzadkiel
> and all from Yesod are meant to be seen as good. As Apheta says, "our gold is true gold...".
>
> Third, the Hierodules observes the Play at the House Absolute. Baldanders' rampage did not allow for
> the collection of "dropsies" there. We are not privy to other performances so I must guess the false
> coin came from the performance at Ctesiphon's Cross.
>
> As Hethor was present at Ctesiphon's Cross and he can generally be considered to be a bad guy, I think
> he is the most likely source. As to the significance of the coin and connection to Vodalus, I think I'll
> have to devote a new thread if I am to post my views on it.

Two more curiosities. When they are interrupted by Hethor in the field while dividing the dropsies, Talos says they have been reduced to single orichalks, Dorcas offers to take them in exchange for one of her aes. She does this unexpectedly to Severian.

However, the coin in the mausoleum from Vodalus is a gold chrisos as far as Severian can tell. He tells us he knows the difference, and that he's handled aes and orichalks enough to know them well, but he only knew gold chrisos vaguely when he got his from Vodalus.

The second coin, the one Talos gives him at the end of Citadel, is clearly a match to the one in Severian's hand. It has the same smooth, greasy texture, and Severian finds this curious. I have to say that it's worth mentioning Severian's monologue about there being multiple iterations of Severian, and that time travel is no small secret to him any longer.

Regardless of whose face it is on the coin, is it possible that this is two instances of the same chrisos? If so, could Severian have been watching himself in the play that night?

...ryan