(urth) Hierogrammates, Briah and Yesod

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Aug 12 12:06:09 PDT 2010

"I mentioned dialog because narrative is the opposite. "

Agreed.

"It's meant as a full description for an unknowing audience."

Usually. Not here.

A well-known author---I can't recall who, but it wasn't Wolfe---once commented that storytelling isn't about providing information, not even in a strategic sequence. (I forget how it was put, so I'm paraphrasing.) It's actually about withholding information. Or, if you will, releasing it only in a carefully controlled manner.

Or, in any discussion of Wolfe, not releasing it at all. (Or as Lee says, releasing it and then denying it. See also "leaking.")

I understand that you think the Hiero makers are our homologues, but there's no real reason to think that. It's just one possibility Wolfe doesn't really address. In fact, it's based on what I'd say is an excellent example of a naive reading.