(urth) Hierogrammates, Briah and Yesod

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Aug 12 10:25:06 PDT 2010

"When reading dialogue one must pay attention not only to what is said but to how it is expected to be said."

Exactly.

If the intent was "They were very like you, but with one major difference," then I would expect to read "They were very like you, but with one major difference...."

Also, I should add that "cognate" is itself an invitation to suspect identity. The term denotes a word or thing of identical or shared origin. Recall that the narrator is part-Translator. And who knows what the Men of
Urth actually call themselves?

A race of women would by definition be cognate to a race of men; a race of Green Men would be the same as a race of Men: one must be derived from the other. A race cognate to Homo sapiens might be Homo habilis. But it can't be something too different.

And yet it allows some doubt.