(urth) Brook Madregot runs between

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 05:53:06 PDT 2010

>Roy C. Lackey: "I can tell you this: Madregot flows from the glory of Yesod"--she pointed
>upstream--"to the destruction of Briah, down that way." She pointed again.
>(286)
>------------------------------
>In other words, the Brook flows *from* Yesod *to* Briah, from the higher
>plane to the lower, just as Malrubius had told Severian ten years earlier.
>Put still another way, Yesod and Briah are not on the same plane. Neither do
>they follow one another in a series.

Once again Roy, I am flummoxed by your post. To my way of thinking your citations
apppear to undercut your own assertions and support mine.

If Brook Madregot flows "downhill" from the glory of Yesod to the destruction of
Briah it says to me that it serves as a connector between the creation of Yesod
and the Grand Gnab or destruction of Briah. Put in another way, these two universes
are in line with each other allowing a stream to flow from one to the other.

A stream can flow between a higher town on Pike's Peak to a lower town. But it can't
flow to a town on a separate mountain.

Moreover, if Brook Madregot connected two otherwise unconnected universes, we would
expect it to traverse the space between then stop. But it doesn't work that way.
Severian uses Brook Madregot to move up and down the timestream of Urth. This suggests
that the timestream of Urth is connected in a line all the way to Yesod.

Severian has limited power to travel up and down Brook Madregot. So if Severian had enough
power he could travel upstream  all the way to Yesod or downstream all the way to the
beginning of Urth, beginning of Briah (big bang) and beyond (Abaddon).

Is there a place in the text which suggests Brook Madregot is not a single straght line?
A suggestion that there is a branching or sidetrack to Yesod which would support your
idea of separation? I can't remember. But I think this is required.