(urth) Hierogrammates, Briah and Yesod

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 12:49:00 PDT 2010

On 8/10/2010 1:26 PM, Tony Ellis wrote:
> In chapter XXII of UotNS, when Severian is in Yesod, he says: "They
> were people I'd known... Thecla, Agilus, Casdoe... Perhaps they're all
> dead now, all ghosts, though I didn't know it."
> Apheta corrects him: "They are unborn. Surely you know that time runs
> backward when the ship sails swiftly. I told you myself. They are
> unborn, as you are."
>
> If they have travelled back in time to get to Yesod, it can't be in
> Briah's future.

Well, she is saying that in Yesod they _are_ traveling back in Time, no?
I'm not sure how to clamp this to what Severian said about Yesod in
_Citadel_. This seems to draw Yesod as existing *within* Briah. At first
blush, it looks like when writing UotNS, Wolfe had completely forgotten
about the construct for his universes in tBotNS.

It does explain (a little) how Severian's actions with Apheta creates
the New Sun since it would then take millennia for the light from that
star to reach Urth.

u+16b9