(urth) Hierogrammates, Briah and Yesod

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 12:34:16 PDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:

> But we still have Tzadkiel's words to Severian to consider; can't ignore them-
>
>>"..I am as I am, your own race having made us so before the apocatasatis. Were you not told
>>that they had shaped us in their image?"
>

> How could Severian's race have made Tzadkiel's race if they were all unborn? Who ya gonna
> believe in such a contradiction, Dad/Butterfly or child/larva?

I don't see this as a contradiction. "Your race" can refer to the
human race of Yesod's iteration.

> If Yesod were actually to be a universe which preceded Briah in sequence we'd be stuck with the
> unpleasant concept that each succeeding universe becomes worse.

No, I don't think so. All it means is that Yesod in its very late,
fully developed state is "better" (for some measure of gooditude) than
Briah in the relatively-early state during which Severian's adventures
take place. We have open to us the possibility that Briah may in time
become as "good" or "better" than the Yesod we see.

And, of course, in a later (our) iteration there is Christ, Who defeats decay.

> There is another part of BotNS which makes me think Yesod is our own universe but I'll have to
> address that in a different thread.

I'd like to see this, because actually I _like_ the
"Yesod-is-our-Universe" theory.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes