(urth) Hierogrammates, Briah and Yesod

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 08:27:58 PDT 2010

> Yesod is a universe apart from Briah and the other manvantaras, on a
> different level. This is not my opinion; it is what Severian was told by
> Malrubius in CITADEL: ". . . Yesod, the universe higher than our own, where
> they created worlds suited to what they [the Hierogrammates] had become."
> There is an "endless succession" of these universes on the level below
> Yesod, in one of which "a race was born that was so like to ours that Master
> Malrubius did not scruple to call it human." That race is the one Apheta
> said was "cognate" (p-137) to Severian's.

True. In fact, just after this very passage Severian says that the power
to travel the corridors of Time is the same for escaping the universe.

"The hammer they wield is their ability to draw their servants back,
down the corridors of time, and to send them hurtling forward to the
future. (This power is in essence the same as that which permitted them
to evade the death of their universe--to enter the corridors of time is
to leave the universe.)"

If one had to travel to the beginning or end of the universe to access
Yesod [assuming I am understanding the propose model], then you would
have to have a separate method of Time travel to reach the beginnings
and endings of universes.

u+16b9